Updated for 2019!
Each September, museums all across the country open their doors for FREE allowing everyone to experience the beauty, wonder and intrigue they have to offer. The Smithsonian Magazine Annual Museum Day is a way for other museums to “emulate the spirit of the Smithsonian’s Institute in Washington D.C.” which offers free admission all year long. This year’s event will take place on September 21 with more than 1500 museums expected to participate across all 50 states!
At Mommy University, we believe visiting a museum is an important experience for all ages but especially for children. It sparks curiosity and the imagination, expands knowledge and understanding and, most importantly, allows visitors to see the world beyond their front door. Museums also bring people together and teaches us about equality, acceptance and inclusion.
This year, the theme of Museum Day is Smithsonian Year of Music! “Music is a natural fit for Museum Day as this is Smithsonian’s Year of Music,” says Amy Wilkins, Chief Revenue Officer at Smithsonian Media. “It’s the perfect theme that unites us all.” Music is not only a form of self-expression, but it is also a way to communicate across all cultures. With this theme, Smithsonian Museum Day will bring together music-related resources in art, history, culture, science and education.
Individuals of all ages are invited to participate in Museum Day; however, tickets must be obtained in advance. Beginning on August 15, guests must visit Smithsonian.com/museumday to download a ticket. Each ticket is good for one person and allows for FREE access to the museum. One ticket is allowed per email address. You can find a list of museums at Smithsonian.com/museumday/search.
Here is a list of participating NJ museums:
- American Labor Museum/Botto House National Landmark
- Aviation Hall of Fame
- Cooper Gristmill
- Cornelius Low House
- Dey Mansion
- East Jersey Old Town Village
- Hamilton House Museum
- Historic Speedwell
- Historical Society of Princeton
- Hunterdon Art Museum
- Liberty Hall Museum
- Long Pond Ironworks
- Old Barracks Museum
- Passaic County Arts Center
- Westervelt-Vanderhoef House
Here are a few just outside NJ:
- Academy of Natural Sciences – Philadelphia
- Independence Seaport Museum – Philadelphia
- Woodmere Art Museum – Philadelphia
- Penn Museum – Philadelphia
- Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania – Strasburg, PA
- Fonthill Castle – Doylestown, PA
- Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum – NYC
- Long Island Maritime Museum – NY
- Asia Society and Museum – NYC
- New York City Fire Museum – NYC
Which museum will you visit?
You may also enjoy: