From the moment the weather got nicer and the parks reopened, my family was out the door and ready for adventure. As a Sussex County resident, we have explored Liffy Island a few times and have always loved it. We even hiked there with our Cub Scout Pack to earn a patch. It is the perfect trail for families with kids of all ages!
Located in Lake Hopatcong, NJ, Liffy Island can be accessed by taking the James Leach Boardwalk Trail at Prospect Point which is part of the Lake Hopatcong Trail. It is a wide, dirt and gravel trail that guests can use for running, hiking, walking, or even riding your bike. There is plenty of room to social distance, and it is stroller friendly. It is about a one mile hike before reaching the bridge to Liffy Island.
The boardwalk style bridge offers stunning views of the lake. While crossing the bridge, hikers can observe birds and fish as well as admire the gorgeous landscape. Once you reach the island, there are several paths to explore. You can also go off the path and go down to the water. The trails are not marked but don’t worry about getting lost as the island is small. While there, you can enjoy a variety of fun outdoor adventures. You can stay for an hour or all day! The total length of the hike is just under 3 miles.
Here are some activities you can enjoy on your hike!
3 Activities to Enjoy at Liffy Island
Lake Hopatcong is known for being a great NJ fishing destination. When hiking Liffy Island, you can access the lake and spend the day fishing. Make sure to get a fishing license before you go.
Take a Break
We were pleasantly surprised to find a great resting spot on the island. In addition to chairs carved out of tree stumps, we also found 2 hammocks. There was also a fire pit. This is a wonderful spot to rest and relax. My boys especially enjoyed swinging in the hammock chair.
Go for a Swim
After a nice walk/hike, take a dip in Lake Hopatcong! There is access to go swimming all around the island. There is even a rope swing on a tree at the end of the island trail. We did not try it but have friends who have.
Things to Know
- The Boardwalk trail is wide and stroller friendly. The trails on the island are narrower, however, and will be a little more difficult to navigate with a stroller.
- Dogs are allowed and should be on a leash. Please make sure to clean up after them and do not leave poop bags on the trail or the island.
- There are no picnic tables available but feel free to pack a lunch and bring a blanket to have your own picnic.
- Fishing is allowed.
- The island can also be accessed from the water by kayaks. There is no dock for boats.
- At the start of the hike, you will find basketball courts and a playground for even more outdoor fun.
- With any hiking experience, make sure to wear bug spray and a hat to protect yourself from ticks.
Bonus: Main Lake Market
After a long hike, treat yourself with some delicious ice cream at Main Lake Market. Located less than a mile from the hike, this is a local favorite with gorgeous views of the lake. In addition to ice cream, they also offer yummy sandwiches and snacks.
You may also enjoy: