Updated for 2019!
One of my favorite things to do over the summer is enjoy outdoor movies with my family. Whether it is at our local park, on the beach or at a drive-in theater, there are so many ways to experience a movie in the summer. It is a wonderful opportunity to spend time with friends and family and create memories to last a lifetime.
Each year I try to find a new outdoor movie experience for my family to enjoy. New Jersey and the surrounding areas offer so many fun ways to watch a movie so I thought why not put together a list that we all could benefit from. After researching what is offered and combining it with what I have already experienced, I bring you:
2019 Unique Outdoor Summer Movie Experiences
Kip’s Castle Park, Verona
An outdoor movie experience my family really enjoys takes place at Kip’s Castle in Verona, NJ. Between the view of the castle and the NYC Skyline, Kip’s Castle Park offers a truly unique movie experience. On Friday evening, June 7 and June 14, there is an outdoor movie that begins at dusk. Did I mention admission is FREE? What’s even cooler is that when you park on the street, you can take a trolley up to the castle. This is an experience my kids still talk about and cannot wait to return this summer!
- June 7 : The Wizard of Oz
- June 14 : Mary Poppins Returns
Montclair Film Festival Presents Free Outdoor Movies, Montclair
This summer families can enjoy a fun outdoor movie at unique locations throughout Montclair including Nishuane Park, Van Vleck House and Gardens, Montclair Public Library and Church Street. The Montclair Film Festival invites families to enjoy live music before each movie. Each venue opens at 7:30pm.
- June 7 at Nishuane Park: Spider-Man : Into the Spider-Verse
- July 26 at Montclair Public Library: Gnomeo and Juliet
- August 16 at Church Street: Aquaman
ZOO-VIES, West Orange
Every Wednesday evening this summer the Turtle Back Zoo is excited to present ZOO-VIES. Beginning at dusk, family-friendly movies will be presented for FREE on the rooftop of the brand new parking deck. To add to the excitement, the Turtle Back Zoo will also be open for Family Night prior to the show (reduced admission after 5pm and the zoo remains open until 8:30pm). ZOO-VIES will on Wednesday evenings in July.
- July 3: How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
- July 10: Wonder Park
- July 17: Small Foot
- July 24: A Dog’s Way Home
- July 31: Aquaman
- August 7: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
- August 14: Beethoven
- August 21: Dumbo
- August 28: Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
Movies on the Beach, Various Locations
After spending a brain boosting day at the beach, your family can change into comfy clothes and enjoy a great movie. Every Friday this summer, beginning June 21, families can head over to Jenkinson’s Boardwalk (near the pavilion) for Free Movies on the Beach. Make sure you check out their awesome line up of family friendly flicks!
- Jenkinson’s Movies at The Beach begin at dusk but make sure to have your lawn chair and blanket.
- June 21 – Trolls (PG)
- June 28 – Ralph Breaks the Internet (PG)
- July 12 – The Incredibles 2 (PG)
- July 19 – Madagascar (PG)
- July 26 – Frozen (PG)
- August 2 – Tangled (PG)
- August 9 – The Lego Movie 2 (PG)
- August 16 – Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse (PG)
- August 23 – Mary Poppins Returns (PG)
- August 30 – The Secret Life of Pets (PG)
- Cape May Movies on the Beach will take place every Thursday night with children’s activities beginning at 8pm and the movie at 8:30pm.
- July 11 – Ferdinand
- July 18 – Avengers: Infinity War
- July 25 – Young Frankenstein
- August 1 – The Wizard of Oz (singalong)
- August 8 – JAWS
- August 15 – The Secret Life of Pets
- August 22 – Sherlock Gnomes
- August 29 – Mary Poppins Returns
- Seaside Heights Movies on Sundays in July and August
- July 7 – Jaws
- July 14 – Wreck It Ralph 2
- July 21 – Lego Movie 2
- July 28 – Captain Marvel
- July 17 – Moana
- August 4 – Hotel Transylvania 3
- August 11 – Coco
- August 18 – Moana
- August 25 – Incredibles 2
- Belmar Movies on the Beach begin at dusk on the 8th Avenue beach on Saturday nights.
- July 13 – Incredibles 2 (rain date July 14)
- July 20 – Mary Poppins Returns (rain date July 21)
- July 27 – Baby Boss (rain date July 28)
- August 3 – Ralph Breaks the Internet (rain date August 8)
- August 10 – Small Foot (rain date August 11)
- August 17 – A Dog’s Way Home (rain date August 18)
- August 24 – Moana (rain date August 25)
- September 7 – Jaws (no rain date)
Plein Air Cinema Series, Hamilton
This summer head to the gorgeous Grounds for Sculpture for a unique outdoor movie experience. Bring a blanket, order a picnic basket from the Peacock Cafe and take in the night sky. You can even order a cocktail from Rat’s Restaurant!
- August 8: Where the Wild Things Are
Highland Park Outdoor Movie Theater, Highland Park
If you are looking for family friendly films in a fun and diverse neighborhood, then visit Highland Park for the Outdoor Movie Theater! Prior the main feature cartoons will be played for younger audience members and then at 9pm in the Municipal Lot (on Raritan Ave. between 2 and 3rd Aves.) the show will begin!
- June 1 : Dragonslayer
- June 15 : Breaking Away
- July 13 : The Terminator
Applegate Farms Movies Under the Stars, Montclair
Each year, Monica and I bring our kids to a fun movie night experience at Applegate Farms located in Upper Montclair. Before the show we enjoy dancing and games with a DJ then an exciting magic show. Admission and activities are FREE. Ice cream is an additional fee, but I highly recommend it! Before each movie at 6:30 pm, families can enjoy activities, prizes, and music. The magic show begins at 8 pm with the following at 8:30 pm. Don’t forget your chair!
- June 26 : Ralphs Breaks the Internet
- July 10: How to Train Your Dragon 3
- July 17: Aquaman
- July 24: Bumblebee
- July 31 : Incredibles 2
- August 7 : Hotel Transylvania 3
Every summer my family and I enjoy at least one double feature at the Circle Drive-In Theater located in Dickson City, PA. Every Friday, Saturday and Sunday throughout the summer, families can enjoy a movie at 8:30pm and 10:15pm. Both movies are included in the admission price ($8/adult and $5/child). We arrive early and have a blast running up and down the hill and playing football and soccer in front of the big screen.
Delsea Drive-In Theatre is another fun choice for a drive-in movie experience. Located in Vineland, NJ, this is the only drive in theater left in NJ. This theater is open Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays in the summer. There are 2 screens each with a double feature with the first movie beginning around 8:20pm. Admission costs $11/adult, $6/children ages 4 and up, and children ages 3 and under are FREE.
Warwick Drive-In Theatre is another wonderful option especially for those living in North Jersey. Located in Warwick, NY, this theater is open EVERY night in the summer. There are 3 screens each with 2 movies a night. Admission is $11/adults, $8/kids ages 4-11 and seniors, and kids under age 4 are FREE. Movies vary from adult features rated R to kid friendly movies rated PG.
Soon to be updated!
Anchor Golf Center Outdoor Movie Night, Whippany (To be Updated)
I have heard of movies in the park, on the beach and even at a zoo, but a movie at a golf center? Now that sounds like a unique movie experience! This summer families can pack up their blankets and lawn chairs and get comfortable on the Party Green at Anchor Golf Center in Whippany. Pizza, popcorn and ice cream will be available for purchase.
We will be updating this list as more unique summer movie experiences are released. If you know of a unique outdoor movie near you, please let us know and we will check it out!
Alstede Farms, Chester
Alstede Farms will be hosting a free family movie night! Starting at 8pm, your family can enjoy a unique location for a movie with easy access to picking up delicious ice cream or fresh produce! The Hen House will have hot or cold food available for purchase. The movie shown will be Disney’s Coco.
Hoboken Movies Under the Stars, Hoboken
If you enjoy the NYC skyline, then you will also love Movies Under the Stars at Pier A Park in Hoboken, NJ. Every Wednesday families can enjoy a FREE outdoor movie. It is important to note that movies range in ratings from PG to R so make sure you check the schedule before heading out with the little ones although we only listed movies G to PG-13. Families are encouraged to come early and to bring a blanket or low-back chairs to enjoy the movie. You many also bring food to enjoy a picnic with your friends and family (alcohol is not allowed). * Denotes special programming for children at 7pm.
- To Be Announced