We all know how important it is to get our kids to read or listen to a story each night. It boosts academic and cognitive development, increases expressive and receptive language, expands general knowledge and enhances comprehension. Reading each night also helps improve focus and attention. All of these things are skills needed to be successful in school.
Although it’s still fun to pull out the paperback or hard cover book, kids also LOVE using technology to learn. I was recently introduced to a wonderful FREE app that provides an interactive reading experience. Lucas Lashes, the Brown-Eyed Boy with the Magic Eyelashes, is an adorable story that helps children not only learn to read, but also face their fears. Luca Lashes is a wonderful line of apps and interactive eBooks for children available on iTunes, the Amazon App Store, NOOK. The first story is free with additional stories available for a small fee.
Luca Lashes is an adorable story about a little boy who was born with magic eyelashes. He enjoys dreaming about going to school, playing with his friends and spending time with his family. But like all children, Luca has some fears and worries. His magic eyelashes help him stay strong and push past his fears. In addition to being a good story to read, there are so many wonderful learning features involved with Luca Lashes, The Brown Eyed Boy with the Magic Eyelashes.
5 Great Learning Features
1. Lucas Lashes takes an interactive, multi-sensory approach to learning. Kids can listen to the story while also following along as the words are highlighted on the screen. This makes it great for both visual and auditory learners.
2. As the story is presented, kids can tap on items in the pictures to get various visual and auditory reactions. For example, kids may hear kids laughing or see a butterfly fly around the screen. This allows kids to be more engaged in the story as well as increase comprehension. It also increases their understanding of cause and effect.
3. The story can be presented in 5 languages (English, French, Italian, Spanish and Chinese) allowing children of various backgrounds to benefit from this app. It’s also great for children who are bilingual as well as for those who are learning a new language.
4. At the end of the story, parental tips are offered to help enhance the learning experience for your child. It also directs parents to the website where you can find various learning activities that go along with the story such as coloring sheets, mazes and puzzles.
5. Luca Lashes uses story telling to help kids understand and prepare for various social situations that may be perceived as scary or uncomfortable. By watching and hearing Luca get through various experiences it helps make these situations less frightening and overwhelming.
My boys really enjoy watching and reading Luca Lashes, the Brown Eyed Boy with the Magic Eyelashes. I know your children will love it too! For more information, visit the Luca Lashes website.